Saturday, November 9, 2013


     Wow!  The time has flown by.  I can't believe so much time has flown by since my last post.  I am so sorry.  I have been putting in a lot of time making sure my classroom kiddos get the very best from me that I can give them.  Here are a few things that have been keeping us busy in the classroom.  I had the students in the Kindergarten classrooms practice drawing our school mascot.  Then we passed them around to a few parents and staff, asking them to vote on their favorite.  We then picked the favorite one from each classroom, asked the kids to sign their names, afterward I scanned the pictures and signatures, and the t-shirt design idea and sent it to the printers  to make Kindergarten shirts.  They turned out really cute!  We have been busy with the fund raising for a field trip to the Dixie Stampede.  This is my fourth year to coordinate a trip to the Dixie Stampede for my students.  The show is an awesome adventure if you've never gone before and for a bunch of students from a low income school it is as they put it "the best day ever!"  One student as she was watching the Bethlehem nativity scene and the three camels came out (many of my students didn't know what a camel was) and the three Kings, then a dove flies across the arena and into the hands of an angel, she exclaims to my principal, "Wow, and I know exactly what that is, it's the tooth fairy!"  Precious.  I feel very blessed to work with such an awesome group of administrators, parents, and community members that they allow us to take this trip every year.  Students participated in a competition between the north and the south, elves served them lunch, they watched an awesome performer juggle, lots of wagon and horse tricks, a log cutting competition, and so much more.  
     Monday is Veterans Day and we will do an awesome community program to honor our community veterans.  My students made red, white, and blue star necklaces to wear and will recite a poem for the Veterans.  Students have been learning about veterans and writing thank you cards and using veterans as a writing prompt.  We've also been busy learning the alphabet, our sounds, rhyming, sorting by syllables, our colors, identifying key details in a text, how to ask and answer questions like who, why, what, when, etc, blending and segmenting to read cvc words, counting and writing to show how many, ways to make different numbers, been busy with reading and writing workshop activities, and all of the other standard objectives for common core.  We have been very busy and I am very proud of them and their progress.
 The template for the stars can be found at Enchantedlearning.com


     I hope all is well with you and your classroom.  Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!